On Wednesday 1st September 2021, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i listed properties said to be owned by Deputy President William Ruto.
The CS, together with his Permanent Secretary Karanja Kibicho, were honoring a summon by Parliament. This was following a recent redeployment of security personnel assigned to the DP.
The submission to the Parliamentary National Security and Administration Committee contained a list of properties said to be owned by the DP.
Properties Owned by DP Ruto
Below is a list of properties owned by the second in command, as listed in the document.
- 2 Homes In Uasin Gishu County
- 5 Helicopters worth Ksh 300 Million each
- 2 Hangars under Kwae Island Development Limited
- Weston Hotel Nairobi, on a 0.773 hectare parcel of land
- Dolphine Hotel Mombasa on a 3 acre piece of land
- A gas company in Kitengela
- Koitalel Poultry Farm in Eldoret
- Murumbi Farm in Trans Mara Narok – 395 Hectares
- ADC Laikipia Mutara Ranch on approximately 6,074 hectares
- Mata Farm – 2,537 hectares in Taita Taveta
Weston Hostel made headlines after pupils from neighboring Langata Primary School were tear-gassed by police while demonstrating the grabbing of their school land.
The hotel is currently at the centre of a court case with the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority. The aviation body claims ownership of the land on which the hotel sits on.
Use Of State Security
According to CS Matiang’i, the properties listed are all guarded by State Security. The CS explained that 257 police officers are deployed to guard the DP, his homes and his properties.
Sharing a cup of tea with the new security team as I welcome them to the Official Residence of the Deputy President. pic.twitter.com/5GsnFcURIn
— William Samoei Ruto, PhD (@WilliamsRuto) August 30, 2021
He made the submission seeking to defend his office from allegations of undermining the DP’s security.
“Contrary to the allegations made and in view of the tabled evidence, the Deputy President is the most guarded in the history of the country in comparison to previous equivalent office holders.”
– CS Matiang’i.
At Parliament, his revelations drew different reactions from members, some who felt State Security was being abused.
However, the DP’s office refuted the claims stating that as a holder of a constitutional office, the DP does not offer his own security. David Mugonyi, Ruto’s Secretary of Communication, claimed Matiangi’s recent moves were politically motivated.
“He has abused public resources and the power of his office to score cheap points in a futile attempt to humiliate, disparage, denigrate and ridicule the person and the Office of the Deputy President for political propaganda”
Do you think the DP is well protected? Or Is he overprotected?
Let us know in the comments and as always, keep it C.O.K.
- All You Need To Know About Musalia Mudavadi’s Net Worth - October 18, 2022
- Willy Paul Threatens to Sue Miss P Over Sexual Assault Claims - September 6, 2021
- List of DP William Ruto’s Properties Revealed By Matiang’i - September 2, 2021